Monday, January 4, 2010

The Legacy of Kelly Stoker

Recently I began shadowing Physicians in preparation for medical school. It's fun! One of the experiences I was really looking forward to was being able to shadow our ENT doc, Kelly Stoker. He'd always been really nice to our family and agreed to let me follow him sometime. Unfortunately, I never got the chance. He passed away on Christmas Eve due to injuries sustained in an ATV accident. His passing has left a far bigger impact on my life than shadowing him ever could have. I watched in awe as literally an entire county mourned his loss. Nearly all who knew him felt like they were his friend. He touched thousands upon thousands of hearts. I could repeat story after story that I've heard about how he uplifted and helped those who came to see him. Over 1100 seats were set up for his funeral. In attendance were several very prominent members of the community, state, and nation. This one man left a bigger hole by his passing than pretty much anyone I have ever known. As I observed all of this I realized the significant impact a doctor can have on the lives of those he interacts with. I had begun to be enticed back to the prospect of becoming a PA (it is much easier to get accepted to PA schools now-a-days), but after seeing the degree to which this man influenced the lives of those around him for the better I was inspired to keep MD in my sites. Thank you Dr. Stoker, for improving and shaping lives even after your passing.

No comments:

Post a Comment