Tuesday, December 1, 2009

The military.

Interestingly my blog has evolved over time. I originally started it to help myself sort out and record the major decisions that are associated with becoming a medical doctor. Slowly it has turned into a very sporadic journal of my experiences and thoughts. I suppose that isn't a bad thing, but it does explain the decreased frequency of my posts. I keep a journal anyway so it seems redundant to post one online. Though it is probably almost as private because I really doubt very many people stumble across this blog anyway.
So from now on: I'm only going to post when I am faced with a major decision or milestone on my way to becoming a doctor.

To follow my own advice: for about the last 8 months I have pondered the possibility of joining the military to help with medical school. As of right now I have decided against it:
1. I'm not worried about trying to pay off medical school before I become a practicing physician anyway.
2. I do not want to be locked into a commitment, particularly with the ever-present possibility of being forced to practice as a General Medical Officer while awaiting a slot to open in a military residency.
3. Though the likelihood of being deployed is low if I were to go through the National Guard (the course that I think is by far the best option of the armed forces), the possibility of being delayed by such a deployment is not worth the risk.
That being said, there are some real merits to taking the military route. Many people do and don't regret it one bit. I just don't think it is for me. In any case it wouldn't be beneficial for me to enlist until I am accepted to a medical school anyway.

No comments:

Post a Comment