Thursday, February 26, 2009

Internet: "what rumors?"

So, the first conclusion I have come to in my search for basis in the rumors of healthcare doom is this: they didn't come from the internet. Searching google has not brought very many negative indications about the future of healthcare. So I have no idea where people are digging this stuff up. I did find the followig link:
http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/67662.php
and:
http://medheadlines.com/2008/11/19/us-doctors-disillusioned-60-wouldnt-recommend-medical-profession/
both of which talk about how most doctors would not recommend their career to others. Odd because this article:
http://www.gallup.com/poll/16048/Be-Doctor-Most-Common-Career-Advice.aspx
says that most parents and adults would recommend that kids become doctors.

So I'm even more confused than when I started. As evidence that I'm not crazy here's an actual anectdote of a warning from a friend I recently received:

He too wants to become a doctor. He's a little older than me and has the benefit of already having a job in the medical field as a rep for an orthopedic device manufacturer. His dad is an orthopedic surgeon. When I talked to him about all of this fear floating around he said that his dad told him it would probably be wise to switch to another field if Obama gets elected.

So the fear is out there. I just don't know where it is coming from. My next goal is to find out what exactly the democrats plan to do with the healthcare industry. Maybe that will help me root out the source of the paranoia.

No comments:

Post a Comment