Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Dentistry....

Another tempting alternate to becoming an MD is the highly enticing proposition to go into Dentistry. Just today I was having a conversation with one of my friends and I was led to wonder why I have chosen Medicine over Dentistry.
1st of all, I am comforted by the increased flexibility in the medical field. From eye doctors to trauma surgeons to family practice doctors and everything in between there are a lot of different options for a lot of different personalities. I always saw dentistry as having a little less variety. My friend did point out that there are a lot of different kinds of dentists (oral surgeons, etc.). I still don't see that the differences between different kinds of dentists come close to the huge differences between various kinds of doctors. I have always been a little indecisive and that little extra cushion of decision flexibility is comforting.
2nd, I have heard from others' experience that practicing dentistry in Utah is highly competitive. Furthermore, there are no dental schools in Utah so one must fork over the extra cash to go to school elsewhere. There are even more hurdles to overcome when it comes to moving from state to state as a dentist as well.
That being said, who can argue that the standard of living that dentists have is not AMAZING. Very kind hours, great work environment, a satisfying occupation, and good pay are all very enticing.
I'm still planning on medicine, and by this summer making a switch to dentistry will become time consuming and costly. Until then I'm still open to persuasion. We shall see.

2 comments:

  1. You should go into whatever you want to. If you've always wanted to be a doctor, then go for it! However, dentistry is awesome! (I just say that though because I'm going to be a dental hygienist.) You make some good points though - I think there are more options to choose from in medicine rather than dentistry. Also, there are A LOT of dentists in Utah even though there aren't any dental schools here.

    Hey, I'm just wondering, are you planning on going to med school at the U? And do you want to practice here in Utah too?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, I definitely want to go to med school at the U. Not only would it be cheaper but I imagine the fewer times you have to pick up and move the better. As far as where I'd ultimately like to live and practice...I'm still a little amazed at how much could change between now and then. Though I definitely would like to continue to live here in Utah or at least close by. I don't see myself living out east. I would miss our mountains too much!
    Hey my Bro. in law just got me some cheap tickets to Snowbasin. How'd you like to go skiing/snowboarding up there either this Saturday or the next? E-mail me at outdoorfanatic@gmail.com and let me know if you can. I've never been up their but I've heard its a pretty awesome place. If you don't have a board you can rent one up there (that's what I have to do).

    ReplyDelete