Thursday, January 29, 2009

Picking a Major

As I have learned more and more about medical school expectations I am beginning to realize that they really don't care what kind of major you have. They are MUCH more concerned with GPA, MCAT score, leadership experience, volunteer experience, etc.
So what major should a future doctor pick? That is really up to the individual.
I picked this reference off the University of Utah's Medical School site: "The University of Utah School of Medicine does not recommend or require any specific undergraduate academic major. We recommend that students choose a major field for which they have enthusiasm and interest."
Now this doesn't mean that you should be careless about selecting your major. There are a couple of really important things to consider:
1. Some majors take longer than others. In my opinion the quicker you can get to medical school the better so I have chosen to avoid any majors that take longer than 4 years to complete. The quicker I can get into medical school the quicker I can become a doctor. Adding minors also costs time and doesn't seem to be worth it to me.
2. Picking a major also influences what kind of faculty and fellow students you will be associating with and getting to know. Faculty that are well-connected in the science and medical fields will be more likely to help you get into research opportunities that will help you get a feel for what your specific interests are when it comes to medicine.
3. I have also been advised that it is wise to get a major that can stand on its own. One that can get you a job if you end up deciding not to go to medical school when you are in the latter part of your college career. True, you can always change your major if you change your mind about medicine; but switching majors usually costs you time becuase you will inevitably have taken courses in one major that you won't need in another.

2 comments:

  1. Hey, do I know you? I just noticed that you're a follower of my dental hygiene blog. But yeah, you make some good points on picking a major. Also, concerning your earlier post, I think choosing MD over PA is a good choice. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey what's up! Yeah, I guess this blogging thing is pretty cool. I just have to blog about all my clinical experiences for school so my blog is probably kinda boring if you don't understand all the dental hygiene lingo.

    And yeah, I still have that same YSA calling. It's going pretty good. That swim party last summer was fun. :)

    Lastly, good luck to you too! It sounds like you're doing great in school. Keep up the good work! And keep posting too. I like reading your posts. :)

    ReplyDelete